How to cut in half a golf ball? We have it at TechShop.



Background:
You may be wondering "why would wonder why someone want to halve the golf ball?"   In basic, the final application is often secondary.  Is the question here, how it can be done?

Problems:
I have to keep a permanent fixture on the golf ball, so I could insert the drill holes to the LEDs display tilt switch.  The golf holding fixture worked well I had it with the MakerBot, but it is much faster way there on the Epilog laser cutter do then I glued the layers
I tried the nickel cell battery cavity milled but the router is too short and it would take days for the longer one be available.

The second attempt was laser-cutter use to deepen the slot.   After 5, the laser-cutter could make even a slight progress.   We later found that was the rubbery compound as the golf ball not for laser cutting.

The 3rd attempt is a wooden mounting wood band saw and metal of band saw use, when the teeth on the wood band saw, were too crude, and it ruined the surface to make.  If you on Metal Blade not cutting.  The ball moved and rolled.   If I support a PIN behind the golf ball to wood insert the PIN bent only.   It was a big mistake.  The challenge is that we could hit the golf ball not at its terminals, because it would jam the blade

Solution:
I approached a colleague who worked on a project with the water jet cutter.   He offered to help me cut the golf ball.   So I used the laser cutter cut a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the ball.  I have attached a larger piece of wood and this plywood on the larger wood.  Then I stuck hole on the golf ball on the plywood perimeter.   My friend set the water jet in a cut 3-inch line pattern moving and aiming to be the golf ball on the path of the water jet.

Search results:
The golf ball can be cut in one pass with the right slow speed.   The cut edges and the surface is so smooth.

Comment:
It is unthinkable that the water jet cutter first and foremost with the 8 inch cut metal and hardwood would be same machine can halve of the golf ball so smooth and gentle way.


View the original article here